INEOS NOVA Zylar® 220 High Performance Styrenic, Acrylic Copolymer
Subcategory: Polystyrene; Acrylic; Thermoplastic
Close Analogs: Formerly Zylar 93-546. INEOS NOVA began October 1 2007 as an expansion of the 50:50 joint venture between NOVA Chemicals and INEOS to include North American assets.
Excellent moldability, High clarity, Extended toughness and elongation, meets USP XXI specification for Class VI Plastics, Property retention after gamma irradiation
Applications: Display, medical devices, Office accessories, Small appliances, Break resistant CD jewel boxes, Toys
Injection Speed: Slow to moderate
All molded samples were an 1/8 inch thick unless noted.
General information about ZYLAR®: ZYLAR® acrylic copolymers are The Clear Alternative to polycarbonate, PETG, impact acrylic and clear ABS for applications that demand clarity and toughness and enhanced processing productivity. ZYLAR is a cost effective alternative in injection molding applications, with over 15 years of proven performance.
ZYLAR has proven performance in a variety of applications, including medical, floor care, appliances, consumer goods, office accessories and supplies, pens and mechanical pencils, commercial paper towel dispensers, point of purchase displays, cosmetics packaging, toys, electronics packaging, housewares, consumer & industrial, and other applications.
ZYLAR® acrylic copolymers provide value through enhanced performance, manufacturing productivity, ease of processing, and potential for capital avoidance through utilization of existing (styrenics) equipment and tooling.
- Crisp clarity
- Outstanding practical toughness and ductility
- Balance of toughness and clarity
- Easily decorated
- Can be printed, hot stamped or metalized.
- Gamma, Eto and E-beam sterilizable
- Can be bonded to flexible PVC
- Alcohol and lipid resistance
- Resistance to most industrial and commercial cleaners
- Resistance to most household cleaners
- Resistant to most food additives
- Residential dishwasher safe - top rack
- Secondary operations include sonic welding, hotplate welding, ultrasonic bonding and adhesive bonding
- Over-molding capability
- Antistatic and indoor UV grades available
- Available in natural and pre-colored
- Color matching capabilities
Customer Productivity & Processing
- 5 to 25% density advantage means more parts per pound of resin
- Faster cycle time
- Reduced energy and labor costs associated with processing
- Lower processing temperatures by as much as 150F
- No drying
- Styrenic processing
- Better thermal stability
- More usable regrind and no black specs
- Product consistency, color consistency
- Easily colored at the press
- Easy flow
- Able to utilize existing tooling for PC, clear ABS, impact acrylic, PETG, polyesters, propionate (CAP), PVC and other polymers
Information provided by NOVA Chemicals.
- Water Absorption
- Linear Mold Shrinkage
- Melt Flow
- Styrene Content
- Hardness, Rockwell R
- Tensile Strength, Yield
- Elongation at Break
- Modulus of Elasticity
- Flexural Modulus
- Flexural Strength
- Izod Impact, Notched
- Deflection Temperature at 1.8 MPa (264 psi)
- Vicat Softening Point
- Flammability, UL94
- Refractive Index
- Transmission, Visible
- Processing Temperature
- Rear Barrel Temperature
- Middle Barrel Temperature
- Front Barrel Temperature
- Melt Temperature
- Mold Temperature
- Drying Temperature
- Dry Time
This page displays only the text
of a material data sheet.
To see MatWeb's complete data
sheet for this material (including
material property data, metal
compositions, material suppliers,
etc), please click the button below.